I'm in the same boat as Jim in Idaho.

I have a 14 y/o lab and he will be my last Lab.... I got my selection prosses down to two breeds... Pudelpointer or Springer.

As I search for a dog I see an awful lot of really good Brittany litters.... and I want to know if a Brittany would work better or not.... I am mostly a grouse hunter but will not pass up a good wood duck hole if I find one.

I mostly train my dogs by hunting the living crap out of them.... Other than that, I let them be dogs. So I need a natural born bird dog..... Like a beagle comes out of the box knowing to chase bunnies... I need a bird dog to come out of the box knowing how to hunt grouse..... I don't know if a springer will check that box.... and I hunt in wolf country, and a long ranging pudlepointer will for sure get picked off before too long. I know this because I have seen my Lab come close twice that I know of...

I don't care the cost... I don't care the color... I don't care the breed... If my next dog lives to be 14... I'll be 70 y/o when he goes... just enough time left for one more after that.

Oh, and Jim.... that thing you say about Border collies.... no kidding.... I always said.... If Border collies had opposing thumbs... we would be hearding sheep for them....

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.