I had a French Brit for sixteen years. Stonewall Jackson (aka, Jack, or as my daughter called him, Jacky Bear) was my best friend and a damn good dog. He did all I asked in the woods chasing what few grouse, woodcock, and pheasant we had around back then, and was a great day to day companion.

Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Brittany looks like it might be a good choice from what I've read - intelligent, medium sized, generally healthy, moderate to light shedder and not a drooler AFAIK

Youre on the right track, very intelligent, and easily trainable due to their natural eagerness to please. I knew nothing, and I do mean NOTHING about training dogs when I got him, and he made it easy. Using a few books and the internet, he and I learned together. We would never win any shows mind you, but he would point a bird, find the downed bird, and retrieve it happily. They like to work close, which was helpful.

He was about 38-40 pounds, rarely shed (moderately for a couple weeks each spring and again a little bit in the fall,) and aside from a grass allergy (yes, grass), he was pretty healthy until he got into his elderly years. I dont remember him drooling much, at least no more than any other dog.

Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
They are energetic and need exercise but that is one reason for getting one, it would prompt me to get off my butt and take long walks and throw a ball around or something.

If there is a caveat to the breed, this is it. Most people, including myself back then, are not prepared for the amount of energy and drive they bring to the table as pups, and maintain throughout their life. Jack didn't slow down until he was twelve. The energy level is obscene. The German Shephard I have now is a drivey working dog, and still a puppy, but she doesn't hold a candle to Jack's energy when he was middle aged, say six or eight.

Think... a sugared up 4 year old, who downed a case of Red Bull, with a bad case of ADHD. All the time. You'll get all the exercise you want and more.

Be aware, when left alone, they will find a self-satisfying behavior, usually digging or chewing to vent their energy.

Jack also had pretty bad separation anxiety, but so does my Shepard, so that may be the owner and not the breed.

All this talk about him, I may have to find some old photos to post up. Damn I miss that old boy.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."