Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Not in the market for a dog yet but tossing around the idea of raising one more companion from a pup between retirement and the end of my journey here. Have raised three Labs from pups and love them but as I get older was thinking of something a little bit smaller without getting into ankle biters.

Brittany looks like it might be a good choice from what I've read - intelligent, medium sized, generally healthy, moderate to light shedder and not a drooler AFAIK - my lab Ranger the First would leave puddles in the summer. They are energetic and need exercise but that is one reason for getting one, it would prompt me to get off my butt and take long walks and throw a ball around or something. A Border Collie is a close second but not sure I want a dog who's smarter than me. wink

So, open to any comments you want to make about them - am I on the right track, are there any gotchas with the breed, whatever.

OK..Ive had both a Brittany and a Border Collie..so here goes...

The Brittany, on a comparative basis isn't as active, by far, as the Border Collie. It is a great companion, excellent family dog, mine was sweet as could be and loved the hunt. That said compared to a Border Collie she rode the short bus to school, and licked the windows.

The Border Collie is what I call a "dog for dog people" You better know your schitt and be ready to deal with an active intelligent dog, or they'll make your life miserable. Simple as that...if you know them, understand them, and partner with them, there is nothing they can't do.

If you liked the lab at all..I'd recommend the Brittany. A Border Collie is like getting a Ferrari for your first car...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe