its been a while but;

I've had 3, 1st was a male, grouse, dove and turkey's; when he winded turkeys he was so "birdy" he was hard to hold back, when i would let him go he would bust them up and we would sit an call em back in..
the 2nd was a female a friend who was moving into town had to get rid of, she was a house pet, several years old when i got her. best house alarm i have had.
3rd was a female, got her young, she was coming along good, pointing, holding and some basic hand and whistle commands, still young she got the "cat disease" can't think of the name, she had the shot for it, Parvo its called i think, anyway, she died on my lap on the way to the vets. they are great dogs, do need to exercise, smart, would let the kids do anything to / with them (they were young kids),

had a border collie after the brit's; really got her to keep an eye out around the house, possum, skunk, coon, stray cars, loved to chase tennis balls, she kept alot of people entertained fetching that ball so they would throw it again.. But, she was also possessive, when she was in the back of the truck, i think she would bite someone if they were not family.. they are smart, in the evenings we would go to the barn, call the horses and give them some oats, she picked up on that and had them in the barn before we got there. the longer hair was more brushing to keep it from matting up.

we are in town now and don't have the space i think to let them burn some energy, hell don't have any space, back yard is about 50x100; but when i retire i PLAN on getting another brit pup, its not that far to camp and friends farms, and would like to see how they do with squirrels, even fetching them would help, our grouse are all but gone (where i hunt); but still have turkeys.

i vote for the Brit.. for house pet and/or hunter, oh yea the male hated cats, he might have picked up on that from me; he also collected turtles and buried them in the yard.