Originally Posted by battue
For conversation...

In the thick, timber or brush, two inches shorter is no advantage as far as maneuverability. Your shotgun is most likely to hit anywhere along its length as at the end..

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Neither is shorter necessarily an advantage in the open...Based only on its length....And trying to fit a shotgun longer than the case will naturally be a problem..Boots have much the same issue...

Actually, that’s more what some consider open woods around here. I don’t think we’re so much disagreeing about SHOOTING a shotgun vs barrel length, as much as I’m just referring to carrying ease growing up in the quail edges and rabbit briars with side by sides around here. I also made a point that SxS and O/Us are a different conversation than a repeater, with regard to swing, balance, etc.....two barrels are different, and a receiver adds length, period. While 2” either way (for shooting) is noticeable for most in a double, I’ve just never found it noticeable outside of handling, in a repeater......until it was more than 2” either way. Doesn’t matter if it’s an SC tourney, rabbits, woodcock, dove, or geese in Canada....a 26” repeater has always swung/shot as good as a 28, but maybe not as good on long crossers as a 30 or 32, for me. Not getting into who’s what in SC or upland/waterfowl circles......we all have preferences that can differ, whether it’s after mere boxes or 40+ years of flats and cases.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 08/17/20.