Originally Posted by bwinters
I didn't read the article but gather it was about practical over panache. Funny. I'm revamping my 30-06 for duty this fall <G>

Somehow I feel compelled to comment on this again, partly because I first started posting on the Campfire almost 20 years ago, after "lurking" for a few months.

Have told this story before, but what took me over the edge was a very positive comment on one of my articles in what was then the "Ask Ken Howell" forum, since Ken was the only gun writer regularly posting here.

The poster summed up my article in a 2-3 sentences, whereupon a bunch people posted that I was FOS. I eventually felt compelled to make my first post, stating why they were FOS--due to assuming what the article was all about despite never reading it.

Which is one reason the forum's name was eventually changed to "Ask The Gun Writers," since there were two of us. Since then Ken passed away other writers have taken part, including Jon Sundra and Wayne van Zwoll. (It was also soon decided that anybody would comment, especially since writing about guns on the Campfire makes everybody a gun writer.)

That said, apparently many folks are still very willing to make assumptions about articles they've never read--as you just demonstrated.. This seems a little odd to me, but then the Internet is often a very odd way to "communicate."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck