George,

That drilling is not the only one I own. Have been hunting with them for close to 20 years, but even before that I learned that non-magnifying optics work great for wing-shooting. They're not considered "classic," but they work very well.

Have not taken anything with the Sauer 16x16/7x57R yet, but may this fall, as have the rifle load all worked up. But have owned a 16x16/6.5x57R for a decade. It came with a 4x Hensoldt, but did not particularly like the reticle, a heavy German #1, partly because the rifle barrel was very accurate, and the reticle covered up too much of an animal for shooting much beyond 150 yards.

So I had local gunsmith John McLaughlin machine the bases of Talley steel detachable rings to fit the claw-mount bases. I then could use any scope desired, and chose a 1-4x Leupold, BECAUSE at 1x I could easily wing-shoot birds flushed while hunting big game. And at 4x could easily kill big game at 300+ yards.

That's also part of the reason I purchased the 7x57R: I didn't need to change the mounts or scope. I could turn the 1.5-6x Zeiss to its lowest setting to wingshoot bird encountered while hunting big game--or turn it up if the big game was far enough away to need more magnification.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck