I suspect that you are writing about pronghorn, not African antelope.

I've used 22-250, 6mm, 7x57, 280, 30-06, 25-06, 270, 308, 264, 7mm RM and perhaps others. Except for a bullet failure with a 6mm back when bullet selection for the 6mm was very poor, they all worked fine.

This year I will likely be using a 6mm, I'm not sure which cartridge yet. But my 6mm Remington 700 shoots 95 grain Partitions in less than 1/2 MOA and pronghorn is not a tough animal (except it's bones can be). But maybe a 257 Roberts... If I take the Roberts the bullet will be a 85 grain CT.

My choice would be a flat shooting cartridge with a bullet that can expand easily and hold together if a bone is hit - partitions will do that in every cartridge I've used them in.

A 243, 6mm Remington, 240, 6mm-06 are all excellent pronghorn cartridges. So is the 25 cartridges from 250 to 257 Weatherby. And then there's bigger calibers...

I have most of the above named cartridge rifles. While I suspect that many of the pronghorn I've shot are under 100 yard shots, many were 200-300 yard shots. One was maybe 600+ yards (foolish youth).

If I eliminated that long shot, any of the above will work fabulously. The last time someone asked what my favorite pronghorn cartridge was, I said 25-06. After this year, it might be a 6mm.

Last edited by Bugger; 09/12/20.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally