Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I'd like to know the particulars of those who have used 17 cal rifles to kill antelope. I've got theories, but I've never done it, so I'd like to hear from those who have.

In 2006 I used my Cooper 17 Rem. with a Leupold 3.5-10 scope and shot a buck goat. I did not want too far of a shot and was hoping for around 100 yds or so. If a good shot did not present itself I was not going to shoot. I always take a backup rifle with on distant trips. Going up over a hill there was a young buck about 110 to 120 yards away broadside. Offhand I placed one Hornady 25 gr hp in the lungs. It ran hard for about 50 to 60 yds and tipped over dead. Maybe not the best caliber to use, but it can be done. No exit hole. This year I will be using Win 243's. If I had to pick what I think is the perfect goat caliber it would be 6mm. Also great on the occasional coyote or badger we run into. It is great fun hunting these speedsters. Their eyesight is just phenomenal. I have read that it is equal to a human looking through a 10x scope. Load was 20.5 gr H332, CCI 400, 2.235" COAL, @ 3814 fps. Safe in my rifle, but may not be in yours.