Originally Posted by Aviator
All good info! Here’s a question what type of tire chains would you all recommend?

For the worst situations, including mud, it would be V-bar for me as previously mentioned by others.

However, on many trucks you won't have clearance for anything but cable chains on the front due to the upper A-arm. In those cases, I have used Z-chains. Not as good as a V-bar in the nasty stuff, but overall a more useful chain in my opinion, especially on icy roads and mixed conditions.

And with two sets of Trac-Grabbers, I don't feel unprepared. They are way more aggressive than any chain, as they essentially create large paddles on your tires.

I also carry a compressor, backup tire pump, and Hi-Lift. A bottle jack or exhaust jack isn't a bad idea, but a Hi-Lift is quick and easy to use. Assuming that the operator knows how to use it safely.

I have also winched with a Hi-Lift, but in many cases when I have gotten stuck, there was no anchor available. A deadman is sometimes an option, but can be a lot of work.

Last edited by 4th_point; 09/17/20.