Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Hi Lift jacks are good for pulling out fence posts. That's about it. Worthless in the field on any newer vehicle. No place to hook the jack and with suspension on newer vehicles that have 10" plus of play, the jack is precariously balanced if you can manage to get the wheel off the ground at all. Spend the money on a quality winch.

I have been stuck in places with nothing to anchor to, so a winch won't do you any good unless you create a dead man. That can be difficult in frozen ground. And in good conditions it can still be a fair amount of work, when a Hi-Lift can often get you out of many stuck situations in a minute or two.

I won't disagree on the merit of a good winch, especially for true offroading or a work truck. However, most people who stay on road systems would be investing in something that they may never use. I don't think most people want the extra cost, weight, and suspension upgrades. A Hi-Lift or good bottle jack are probably sufficient for them. Advantage to a Hi-Lift is that you can also winch with it.

Of course, a good tow strap is something that everyone should have. I have pulled many people out of the ditch with a tow strap. But the people stuck didn't have a strap of their own, and neither did other passersby.

I have unstuck numerous vehicles with a Hi-Lift. Diesel ranch trucks, Jeeps, 1/2 trucks, SUV, etc. I know for a fact that it works. A receiver shackle or wheel attachment works on rigs that don't have suitable bumpers or sliders rated for jacking. Easy grin

Image from MileMarker:

[Linked Image from milemarker.com]

Last edited by 4th_point; 09/18/20.