Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by WAM
Obviously, quite a few folks think high end glass is worth the expense. I snicker silently when guys are woofing about their $150 scopes and $99 binoculars and how good they are and just as good as Swarovski, Leica, etc. Betting most have never looked through alpha optics outside of a box store. To each his own.

I have never had the pleasure of using "alpha" glass. I am assuming as with most things there is a point of diminishing returns with the clarity/sharpness of glass. For example, I can see an appreciable difference between my Sightron S1 and my Leupold VX-2. I can see a difference between my VX-II and my MeoPro, although it's less pronounced. As a consequence, most of my glass is in the VX-II range.

I totally agree that the point of diminishing returns is about where you stated. Not everyone can benefit from super high end optics due to their own vision limitations. First / last light performance is where it makes a difference to me. Most any scope works ok in good light as long as it tracks and/or holds zero. One of the best adjustment tracking scopes I’ve used is a Sightron S-II. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.