Paul, I honestly don’t know if the VX5 would allow you to accomplish anything that the Freedom will not. I do know that the VX5 HD (1-5x24) gives me a much better view than the Freedom (1.1-4X20), and also better than the VX-III (1.5-5x20).
Those are as close as I can get for comparison for somewhat equal and somewhat modern scopes. The VX5 HD does have a 4mm larger objective, which I also believe gives it an advantage.

The view from the VX-5 HD is much more pleasing to me. Part of this is I like the wider FOV. But the optical quality of view is better. Particularly in the lower lighting situations. I will add, that the VX-5 HD 1-5x24 seems to be very good optically. My initial opinion is this scope, optically compares well to similar scopes costing much more. This was the first Leupold that I had bought in probably 30 years.

Other than not having a distorted view or a mile of parallax, the low light conditions is always a deciding factor to me. In decent daylight / lightning conditions most all scopes serve the purpose.

I do not hunt the Southern woods, but I did as a kid. I do hunt the Northern woods. My maximum distance in my open / broken terrain is about 225 yds. Even if the target animal is large, I am aiming for small area on it. To me, the quality glass is Very important in the lower powered straight tubed scopes. And extremely important in my binoculars.

I have shot two moose in the forehead at approximately 25 yds. The head shot is not my preferred shot. Sometimes antler parts / body parts are all I can see even on a Large animal at close range. The quality binoculars and scopes, in my opinion, make a difference in positive identification of legality and getting the bullet on an unobstructed path to target.

I don’t knock anyone’s choice of optics. But to me the optics are as important than the rifle or cartridge within reason.
The scope and bullet, to me defines the intended use of the rifle. The older I get, the more I want / need / appreciate any optical enhancement I get.

The reticle is also Very important to me. I prefer a heavier reticle. I don’t care for relying on illumination. I have several illuminated scopes, and I do believe that proper illumination can make a difference in some situations. I have some higher end scopes that the non-illuminated reticle quits before the optics do.

This is my long winded opinion, relevant only to my eyes and hunting situation.