Originally Posted by mathman
Yes, the performance increase per dollar curve flattens out considerably once you get to the MeoPro level.

Bank this one right there. And I will add:
I've owned scopes from Leupolds t0 high end Swaros and Zeiss. For 99% after about the 500 dollar mark, i just don't see the price being worth it. Basically, you are adding about 500 bucks for every minute of shooting light and if you want to mitigate that, just get heavier cross hairs. I tried this with a side by side comparison using a Zeiss Victory and a "lowly" VX3 with standard duplex and heavy cross hairs on a "leopard target". the standard cross hairs were pretty unusable compared to the Zeiss Victory, but the heavy duplex cross hairs made it pretty much even.

2. Binos, different story...almost. The eye strain is definitively an issue, but up to a certain point. For example, I see no really distinct advantage for glassing/hunting between my 15 year old SWARO SLCs and my Leica Geovids. Now if you are looking for DETAIL, as in Bird watching, etc., then then top, top end glass REALLY makes a difference, but your wallet will suffer..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”