Unless you are Kyle Rittenhouse, an idealistic young man who picked a heck of a good deed to do in that war zone, I'd say ......

........you just never know.

If / then scenarios can go on and on.
I'm just recalling the personal life lessons, so YMWV
Your mileage WILL vary.

1. There's too many variables and situations.
In hindsight even the young kyle would have stayed home that night.
Some here never go to town, unless its full of prairy dogs. Some live in Chicago maybe.

2. If you are going into a known conflict and arming for it, then chances are you work for uncle sam or the local paramil forces....normally leos.
Then that decision has been made for you. It's all uniform and you are g.i.ssue. That's not most of this audience.

3. Carry what you have the most experience with and will have with you considering weather/ clothing, comfort, etc. Extra mags are a good idea, as is a baton, bug repellent... habanero pepper flavoured....flash light. But how often will someone without a huge duty belt who is not leo carry all that?
That's why your choices may change as do circumstances. Priorities change. Keep in mind that not all threats require lethal force. A non lethal force multiplier is more likely to be required. Training in non/ less lethal force multipliers is a good idea too.

4. Your biggest threat would likely be the one(s) you don't expect. There's book shelves of information online and print on situational awareness, etc. That's good to be familiar with. However, what if you are caught off guard because you're asleep at home or away? Example...The weapon might not be within reach. What do you do?
This is why I believe that training in multiple scenareos
is most helpful.

5. You can't choose your enemies/attackers, but you can choose your weapons, training, and practice.

6. Most importantly, if / when you buy the farm, you better know the Judge.

7. If you know the Judge's Son, and befriend Him, he will be there with you through every threat.... even when other friends aren't. When you buy the farm, He will invite you over for dinner. 👍

Just seven related thoughts off the top of my drowsy head. Maybe there's something in there for someone else to glean. If not, peace and have a good weekend.

Happy Camper

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 09/25/20.