Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Remsen
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Remsen
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Mazto balls? Love um.

And Kreplach! It's like a won ton mixed with a ravioli, with a sauteed beef and onion filling. In soup with horseradish, it's the type of thing that makes one a believer. In something.

Are them Kreplach anything like pelmeni or manti? Or larger?

Horseradish in chicken soup? Prepared or fresh grated. I've got some to dig soon, another thing to enjoy on a cold day.

It's probably closest to the size of a pelmeni, but everyone makes them differently. Mine tend to be about twice that size, just because I am impatient and can't deal with the time needed to get everything uniform. They taste great but look like a monkey with ADHD made them. The horseradish for the soup is really simple-just grated very finely, mixed with a bit of salt, water and white vinegar and that's it. To the newcomers, the punch of that simple horseradish preparation will blow the tops of their heads.

Well, I'm going to have to do the horseradish trick to some turkey soup this fall/winter. Or maybe chicken soup the next time I make it.

My horseradish plants are showing signs of starting to die back. Time to dig some.

Do you need any homegrown horseradish? My wife hates it and I'll have way more than I need for my own personal use. I can easily send you some roots.

Thanks, that's very generous! I am in the same position with horseradish. Once it starts growing here, it's like a week. It makes me wonder why it's $6 a pound at the grocery store...

The soup is almost ready and the kreplach are now ready to be boiled. I just realized that the soup looks like something you'd find in a Halloween cauldron. I tried some last night and it was probably my best ever...the feet look gross but they add incredible body to the stock.

[Linked Image]

All of the solids that are in that stock will be sieved out later today and new carrots and celery, and the currently frozen gizzards, will be added to the last 24 hours of simmer.

The kreplach are totally homemade (well, I didn't slaughter the cow or grow the wheat, but otherwise it's all by hand). I tend to like an eggier and thicker dough, so that's how I make the wrappers, and I am terrible at making things uniform and dainty looking. But they taste great and definitely are a crowd favorite. The rifle isn't usually part of the show but I am getting ready to bring it back to Montana this time and figured it could photobomb the cooking pic.

[Linked Image]

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.