Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Because I've never known the range of shot opportunities that will present themselves until they actually do.

I've had anticipated ranges of 300-600 yards turn into 25 feet. Conversely, anticipated short range opportunities have turned long on the event.

It depends on what the hunter expects and is prepared to handle.

I hunted Roosevelt elk with a guy who had one of the most CLASSIC Roosevelt rigs you could imagine: a 22" bolt action in 35 Whelen with a 1-5 Leupold and 225-grain bullets handloaded to 2,600 fps. He expected—and prepared for—a shot in the timber, but the only bull he saw was roughly a quarter-mile out. He passed up the shot and went home empty-handed because he wasn't ready to take it.

He probably could have made that shot with his Whelen had he prepared for it, but the probability of hitting at longer ranges goes WAY up with a 300. Most 300 WM shooters have a long shot in the back of their minds and they prepare for it—which is why they choose the 300 in the first place.

Nice necropost, though.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.