Originally Posted by 257heaven
Why not?

Exactly.

1. It's a fun hobby.
2. I like to play with different toys.
3. My tastes, desires and needs have changed over time.
4. It's cheaper and safer than cigarettes, booze, bars, drugs, cars, motorcycles or wimmen.
5. I can afford it.

That said, I'm particular about what I buy. About and maybe over half my firearms were acquired gently used. After the kids were out of of the house I added a couple lever guns to my one-gun collection of hunting rifles. After they were out of college I added a safe full of them, along with a variety of handguns. My most recent acquisition was a beat-up Savage 111GNS in 7mm RM with a barrel that was rusty and pitted inside and out. That was in January of 2019. I stripped the barrel off , had the action Cerakoted and added a rail. Kept the birch stock. The plan was to build a 6.5PRC. Probably still will, but I'm in no hurry and there are other possibilities. I purchased a stripped, standard .473" bolt head and the parts to complete it. Now my options are any cartridge with .30-06 or 7mm RM sized case head,

Thought about a 385 Ruger but my desire to hunt where I might need such a cartridge is pretty limited and if I did get one I want a Ruger. Pretty much mixed the 375 Ruger as an option. Don't need another "elk" rifle, either, and as I get older I prefer lighter recoiling rifles. Currently have sporter-weight bolts in .243 Win, .257 Roberts, .280 Rem, 7mm RM, various .30's and a .338WM, with heavies in 6.5CM and 6.5-06AI. In addition to the 6.5PRC I’ve been considering a 6.5-06, 6.5-06AI, .270 Win, .280 AI, 28 Nosler and 300 PRC, all with sporter weight barrels.

Going to an AIC .338LM magazine has also been considered, but the cost of doing so kind of defeats my original goal ogfa great shooter as cheap as possible, the “cheap” part being a challenge and part of the fun. Right now I could spin on a match grade barrel and still be around $600.

In any case, there is no hurry and considering the options is part of the fun. At best, nothing will happen with it until sometime next year. Unless I decide to paint the stock. Maybe red, white and blue with yellow lightning bolts?

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.