I can say pretty much the same things about my Excalibur. Put it together, mounted the scope, and was on the paper at 20 yards. Click click, and it was all set. A little twiddling of the speed dial (aka power ring) and it was on the money at 30, 40, and 50. This year I tried a shot at 60 and made a killing hit on the target, just before the scope died. Went to a red dot, then a refurbished Nikon fixed power. Have that one figured out to 40 so far, a good practical range under the conditions I hunt. Will fiddle with it a bit more to get to maybe 50, but the fixed power is a bit limited compared to a variable. Muzzys hit the same as field points. BTW, for ease of arrow removal from the target, spray the shaft with food-grade silicon. I also switched to field points with a slight bulge in the middle, which are a lot easier to pull out.

Went with the recurve for simplicity and easy maintenance. Can change a string in a few minutes, decock in seconds. Keep checking the screws and bolts, but nothing has come loose so far. This is the third season, and I have bagged five deer; three does and two scraggly bucks. Two were killed from a treestand, one from a ground seat, and two, including the one I whacked Monday, were shot on my way in or out of the woods, targets of opportunity.

No doubt the compounds are amazing performers, but can’t see how I could do any better than I have with the old-school job. It’s all good.

What fresh Hell is this?