Originally Posted by ironbender
Thanks.

IIRC, your reasoning was sufficient penetration with less recoil than other hand cannons for quicker reacquisition of the target?

Exactly, only hits count ! And multiple rapid hits, even from a small caliber, are better than a miss with an unfamiliar hand Cannon.

And as for those who claim a 357 is worthless, I can only tell them the same thing I say to those who claim the 30-06 is ineffective.

I carried my S&W M65 .357 for years and tested its penetration on large bear carcasses killed by my clients and knew the 180 gr FN jacket bullets would penetrate. I gave it to my daughter when she turned 16 and she has carried it now for over 20 years. I found a M29 44 Mtn Gun and carried it for most of that time but occasionally packed a blued steel M13 357, and on the fateful day, my S&W 9mm.
I find that now I am in my 70's I prefer the lighter weight of the 357 as I carry it all day.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.