Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Aside from the caliber, I would bring a fairly-potent handgun backup based on my experience. Before my first of two Alaskan hunts, my experienced and knowledgeable guide told me that it was a waste. I brought one anyway, and was glad I did, especially when not hunting back at camp. It’s just not realistic to have your rifle in your hands every second when, for example, you’re at camp, including taking a piss at night, or setting up a tent or cooking or whatever. I had my handgun comfortably with me at all times, except for when hunting, which is not all of the time. Much more reliable and convenient to have near you at all times.

Originally Posted by 458Win
If you are hunting with a rifle and can't kill a bear with it, then your chances with any handgun are pretty slim.

Phil: Didn't your need for the 9mm in that incident occur because you and your hunting party had their rifles not within reach (which is common and understandable at times)?

Phil had fishing clients and has posted that if he had known prior what was to transpire, he'd have had old ugly.

How do you piss with a handgun? smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender