Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by justabagoftricks
My nephew, who lived in Ketchikan, has offered to take me bear hunting on Prince of Wales next May. He suggested that in addition to bringing a rifle for the hunt, that I should bring a handgun as a backup just in case. The only handgun, other than a 9mm that I own, is a Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum with a 6" barrel. Is that potent enough for the bear located on the island? Do I really need a backup gun? I have hunted deer, elk and antelope but I never have hunted bear nor have I been to Prince of Wales so any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks.

So .. I carry a handgun to back up my rifle IFF I am packing a questionably adequate, or questionably reliable, rifle. I grew up in a black bear preserve where we might run into up to a dozen or so in a day. It was along a river where the fishing guides, raft "guides", and some of the tour operators put out garbage to draw the bears in for their customers to take pictures so we had a lot of bears conditioned not to run from humans. If I was deer hunting with my dad's .25-20, or my .223, then you bet, I packed my .44 for bears. Similarly, when I hunt with a muzzleloader, I carry a .44 for "backup".

I don't have any faith in the .357 for that use. It is a paperweight. Better than nothing, I guess, but since i have better, when I carry a .357, I carry a .44 to back it up with.

Today, if I'm hunting with a good centerfire rifle, my dividing line falls around the .257 Roberts and .25-'06. Smaller than them, I definitely carry a backup. With them ... maybe, maybe not. Bigger ... why bother?

I saw your later post ... fishing, not packing your rifle? I would not want to rely on the .357. I'd take your relative's offer of loan of the 10mm. It's not ideal, but if you just have black bears, it's "better". IMHO. A .44 magnum is like an '06. It's the yardstick ... for a reason.

Tom

I will have to let my son know the moose, caribou, brown bear, black bears, mountain goat, blacktails, and such should not have died from such an inadequate round, especially considering his preference for 80gr bullets...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.