357 is better than nothing but pick your bullets carefully. Seen a few black bears hit with 9mms, 38s, 357s over hounds mostly using OTC ammo using jacketed bullets up close or when treed, with less than impressive results. Usually the guy wielding the 30-30 then puts em down. 44 mag much better than other pistol rds.

Seen a guy one shot and roll a blackie with a 44 though it was small. Had one local guy who weighed about 135lbs, if he came long he would always run in and grab a bayed up bear from behind in the neck and kill it with a shot to the head with his Ruger Single Six 22lr.

Don't think a black bear is an easy pushover if wounded, had one close call myself. Others not so lucky. They say it's rare?
Back in the 90s, local bow hunter
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Black Bear Mauls Bowhunter

Idaho Bear Hunter Mauled

PA Teen Hunter Attacked by Black Bear

VA Hunter Attacked by Black Bear

Ontario Bowhunter Attacked

NC Hunter Bear Misses Juglar

Black Bear Attack

Will also add myself and others have been followed by black bears while packing out game or even just hunting. One time a friend had some deer salami in his day pack and stepped off a trail to take a leak. When he returned to the trail he saw a 350lb black bear standing in the trail staring at him, about 30yds away. It took off but later when he went back down the trail he said the bear had been following him over 1.5 miles. Saw the same thing in Idaho with some other deer hunters, not one but 2 black bears tracked/trailed them a couple miles. Another friend had a big black bear show up and watch him while he boned out a deer, then it started popping its teeth. So he put a round in the dirt before it and it took off.

Worse feeling is having a black bear show up late night in camp after you killed something earlier. Full meat sacks to deal with, and bloody clothes get rinsed and hung away from camp. The bears still show up, and then the fun starts.

Just my perspective on what a black bear can do, no experience with Alaska bears.