Originally Posted by Mjduct
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter
Originally Posted by Mjduct

I'm a big fan of the Barnes bullets. I hunt with them exclusively. Unfortunately, they aren't expanding after 300 yards at 30-06 velocities, hence my recomendation to jack up the starting speed.

At 300 yards a 30-06 is pushing a168 TTSX at ~2370fps. You don't think they will expand at that speed? Seriously?

My bad, you are correct.

I was looking at the Energy column instead of the speed column on my chart. Maybe out to 400 yards before they drop below 2K. Like I said I hunt fairly close, killed way more animals inside of 30 yards than I have past 150.

My understanding is 2000 fps is about their lower limit for reliable expansion. I never get close to that speed range when hunting. I love the Barnes bullets, but I try to be aware of their limitations. They have been very consistent in my experience, but I know they have a max range for expansion.

Your upstanding is incorrect, they expand to lower velocity, some as low as s 1400 FPS. Just call Barnes and ask because they aren't all the same.

I killed an antelop at 777 yards with a 180 grain TSX and the internals were mush

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first