Originally Posted by 1911a1
Originally Posted by Bighorn
I have owned three #1's, a .25-06, a .257 Roberts, and this one, a custom chambered for .280 RCBS Imp. I worked up loads for the wildcat, only to discover that this rifle shoots plain old .280 ammo with sub-MOA accuracy!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Would appreciate details on this rifle. Like who built it, when etc. That is a outstanding custom rifle.

This rifle was built in 1981, to commemorate the 25th anniversary of Guns Magazine. It was ultimately auctioned off, with myself being the winner, and the proceeds were used to support the US Olympic ShootingTeam.
The metalwork on the action was done by Ray Viramontez, and fitted with a Shilen 24" barrel, chambered for 280 RCBS Imp. The stock is a piece of exhibition-grade California walnut, fitted and checkered by Alvin Lind. The buttstock also features a Brownell Niedner-style grip cap and a Biesen checkered steel buttplate.
For many years, the rifle sat in my gun safe, to be taken out and admired occasionally. Finally, I could not resist the temptation to take it out, scope it, and work up loads for it. I put a Leupold gloss finish M8 6x on it, and fireformed cases for the 7 RCBS. I finally found an accurate load using a 140 gr. Nosler partition bullet, and used the rifle to take the biggest bull elk of my lifetime, a beautiful 7x7. Later, and quite by accident, I tried some factory .280 Nosler ammo, loaded with 140 gr. Accubond bullets, which showed sub-MOA accuracy. The only other thing I have done to the rifle is replace the factory trigger. If I get a chance to do some stand-hunting for whitetails or whatnot, I will use this rifle again for hunting.

Last edited by Bighorn; 11/28/20.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....