I haven't fooled around with the 7mm rem mag much, but have fooled around with then 7mm weatherby quit a bit. To me the difference in recoil between a 7mm mag and a 300 win isn't much. Both kick pretty good for someone recoil sensitive neither are ideal IMO.
I like the 300 win mag because I prefer 30 cals, but either will do anything in North America which needs doing provided you select bullets responsibly.
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
In an M70, I go with the 7mm because the shorter case gives me more room in the box to play with OAL. A full length action like a 700, and I’d consider the 300.

I have never had a model 70 that I left the mag box spacer in.

Doesn’t that require having to modify the ejector and bolt stop? Seems like a lot of effort vs buying a 7mm Rem Mag or an M700.

Yes, a bolt stop, H&H length mag and a H&H, RUM, etc ejector. It’s usually about 50 bucks worth of parts to get 3.6” out of the magazine.

I have a stash of 300 weatherby followers. I remove the spacer and tighten weld the mag box vertical seam. Alter the bolt stop and follower to match. I then add a Brownells magnum magazine box spring, which I also have a stash of.