Originally Posted by Dancing Bear
Originally Posted by Esox357
What would you chooses for elk, sheep, and moose? I'm leaning towards the .300 win mag but open to suggestions. Im looking at a winchester or weatherby vanguard meateater series. Any other rifles you would suggest?

Rifles: i like your choices, I would look at Tikkas and Kimbers as well.

First, I would get an '06 before any .30 magnum. Especially for the mix you list. Rather than stretching a .30 Magnum across deer, sheep, elk and moose I would get two rifles.

Second,if I wanted a common .30 Magnum I would get a .300 Weatherby . I have one and a .308 Norma Mag and they are both much easier to load for than my friend's .300 Wins. I don't use either of those much. I much prefer my .338.

I personally don't care for the .300 Win Mag. I don't like the short neck design, I find the recoil unnecessarily sharp and the rifles weigh more than I like for most of the deer and elk country I hunt, not to speak of sheep.

Elk - I use .308 Win, .30-06 and .338 Win Mag, Sheep - I used an '06 with 180 gr NPT bullets. Moose - Never shot a moose. Oddly, I bought a .338 to do that but haven't made it there, the .338 seemed a better choice if I tripped over a bear too..

WOW find a lot to disagree with on this post.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
First nothing wrong with a 30 Magnum...........
Second in what you call a common 30 Magnum a 300 Weatherby and a 308 Norma Mag how are they easier to reload for than a 300WM ??????????
pretty much same O same O, unless you have a unicorn hypothesis you need to make us aware of ?????????????

Short neck and unnecessary recoil ?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!..........are you kidding me, the weatherby has a several grain advantage in powder capacity AKA more recoil