Originally Posted by Esox357
What would you chooses for elk, sheep, and moose? I'm leaning towards the .300 win mag but open to suggestions. Im looking at a winchester or weatherby vanguard meateater series. Any other rifles you would suggest?

Rifles: i like your choices, I would look at Tikkas and Kimbers as well.

First, I would get an '06 before any .30 magnum. Especially for the mix you list. Rather than stretching a .30 Magnum across deer, sheep, elk and moose I would get two rifles.

Second,if I wanted a common .30 Magnum I would get a .300 Weatherby . I have one and a .308 Norma Mag and they are both much easier to load for than my friend's .300 Wins. I don't use either of those much. I much prefer my .338.

I personally don't care for the .300 Win Mag. I don't like the short neck design, I find the recoil unnecessarily sharp and the rifles weigh more than I like for most of the deer and elk country I hunt, not to speak of sheep.

Elk - I use .308 Win, .30-06 and .338 Win Mag, Sheep - I used an '06 with 180 gr NPT bullets. Moose - Never shot a moose. Oddly, I bought a .338 to do that but haven't made it there, the .338 seemed a better choice if I tripped over a bear too..