Well I figure the reference to some of our own Icons in anything less than reverent terms would get a rise grin.... but what I said is true...

..and Fairbiarn's "nothing new" WAS new when he put it into print.. the fact that the FBI et. al. reached the same conclusions when reinventing the wheel merely reinforcing the validity of Fairbairn's prior conclusions.

With respect to drills... Simple, I spend far more time up-close than most (seven yards or less), firing from a crouch. In fact if I'm popping off 100 rounds (typical), all of 'em might be shot at close range, both eyes open of course.

I don't practice nearly enough, maybe once a month, so when I do I concentrate on up-close where I am most likely to need it.

I'll usually include a few strings one-handed, both strong and weak hands, the emphasis throughout on speed from a low ready (in center mass is precise enough).

Where I differ from Fairbairn is I rarely if ever shoot from the hip and most times shoot two handed, aiming "by outline" as both Fairbairn and Cirillo describe. Usually double taps.

Fifteen yards and more, I'll pick up the front sight. If boredom gets to be a factor I'll make aimed head shots double action at 25 yards, and attempt the same double or single-action at 50. But really, anywhere in the torso double or single action at 50 is acceptable.

Mostly I'm on j-frames now, of those mostly a 3" Mod 60, almost always with .38 plusP. Revolvers being simple enough to operate that my wife can easily use 'em, a critical consideration IMHO.

Even my Airweight though wears the larger "Uncle Mike's Combat Grip" like S&W puts on their .357 j-frames. I go up about an inch in width and length with the "Combat Grip" relative to the "Boot Grip" type grips, but a grip is of absolutely no use to me if I cannot grab it consistently every time in panic drills, and the "Combat Grip" fits me really well.

Panic drills? Grasping unloaded from concealment (as described on another thread) bringing to firing position and dry-firing. I prefer not to dry fire anywhere but down a range.

I dunno who is worse prepared, me or JOG, but then he cheats and uses a Hi-Power...

Did I mention the dog? ... grin

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744