....but why do you crouch? What part of a second are you willing to give up while doing it and what does it buy you?

Crouch is relative I guess, more like a slightly bent-kneed stoop, I do so because Fairbairn observed those under stress when TSHTF (including himself) regularly did the same. Since I'm prob'ly gonna cringe anyway, might as well cringe in practice too.

I dunno how much time I lose cringing in practice as opposed to the time I would lose cringing in the actual event. And of course, I much prefer an "actual event" never happen, if only on account of the legal expenses if I'm still drawing breath afterwards (I also read Ayoob grin).

With respect to double taps; a useful compromise between unrealistic single shot drills and the multiple shots likely to be unleashed in an actual situation.

It is easy to shoot wide even at 7 yards when striving for speed (as many actual police shootings attest), two shots practices aiming consistently between shots... and JUST two shots makes 100 rounds last longer, as well as imposing a sort of ingrained fire-disclipline that could be critical when armed with a 5 shot j-frame (even with autos I practiced with only five rounds in the mag for that very reason).

Sometimes I'll load four and one empty and then spin the cylinder before rapid-firing, stopping when I click on the empty, this being a useful way of checking for consistency of hold between rounds.

I had heard on these forums of the recent passing of Jim Cirillo, and mourn his passing, as I do the Good Colonel. I used to buy "Guns and Ammo" just to read Cooper's column, and I fear his like will become increasingly rare in these modern times.

Congrats on getting to meet and train with all of those guys cool

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744