I've been messaging with Gerhard this morning and want to give some updates on the June trip.

1. This kind of needs to be the "final call" over the next week or so for anyone who might still want to make the June trip. The good news is that PG and DG bookings are happening pretty rapidly all over the country. Unlike a lot of other countries, there are not a lot of "free lance" PH's so, Gerhard needs to start locking in ones who are familiar with the property fairly soon.

2. COVID situation - As of RIGHT NOW, the country is open. They do have a night time travel curfew and no alcohol sales. Can still bring in your own. They do require a negative Covid test when you arrive, and they also do a "rapid test" when you arrive. You'll also have to have a negative test before you get on the flights going over and coming home. Again, the rapid test IS available inside the airport terminal in Gaborone. From what I understand, the tests are also available inside all US International terminals if you don't or can't get within 48hrs of departure. A current or proof of a COVID vaccination is NOT required to enter Botswana or on the international airlines to get there.

3. Airlines and routes. As of NOW, there are very limited routes/ways/airlines available to get there. In the last few days, Delta had even CNX'd it's daily to Jberg. That leaves Qatar Air from several US airports, to Doha Qatar and then to Jberg and in on the same plane or a change of plane to Air Botswana or SA Airlink.

Next options are Emirates or Ethiopian Air. They do offer direct and semi direct flts into Gaborone but only once a week. They do offer daily service into Jberg and then tranfer to Air Bots or SA Airlink.

As of now, you will have to wear a face mask while on the flight unless eating or drinking.

4. Transiting Jberg - as of NOW, US travelers can trans thru Jberg and back to the US. You can even stay over-night in Jberg to make connections as long as you have a recent negative COVID test. US citizens can re-enter the US from RSA again, provided you have a current negative COVID test. Rapid COVID testing is available inside the terminal in Jberg. From what I was told by a travel agent two days ago, even IF you've had a COVID vaccination, you still have to have a negative test and fly with a mask.

I've been researching the flight possibilities for the last few days. From what I have found, it would appear that Qatar Air, is offering the most US airport options and the best prices. They all will route via an overnight flt from the US to the Qatari capital city of Doha and then connecting onward to Jberg and then either on the same plane into Botswana or a change of carrier into Gaborone. The layover in Doha will vary, depending on what US city you depart/return.

I spent a good bit of time in Qatar and Doha when I was on active duty. Doha is where HQ USCENTOM has it's forward HQ based out of. The country is safe, the city is beautiful and the terminal is spectacular. Depending on the length of layover and the class of ticket, you can opt for a hotel room inside the terminal or a few minutes away from the terminal or just a few hours in one of the lounges with food, drinks and showers included.

I'm still planning to go to Bots this Apr and tag along with Gerhard and Jaco for their elephant hunts. I haven't booked the tickets yet as there are a few moving parts to sort out. Once those are locked, I'll book my tickets and they will be on Qatar Air out of Houston.

Still a spot available for the June and Aug trips.

Last edited by M3taco; 02/07/21.