Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Grew up on a cattle ranch and used Speer .270/130gr, .30/150gr, .30/180gr on CA Blacktails & pigs almost exclusively fir years and was never seriously let down but with availability becoming increasingly erratic several years ago, I switched to Hornady IL versions in the same calibers. In comparing my results, I’d say that I get many, many more exits with the Hornady and less bloodshot meat on shoulder shots. Never went back to Speer.

I think that Hornady makes a dependable product with the IL and I’d rank them at the top of the C&C field.

Your post spurs me to think about exceptions though. For instance, I've read quite a few comments that imply the Speer .35 cal 220 Hot-Cor is a tough bullet. Some think it's too tough for deer. Mule Deer has often mentioned bullet manufacturers make some bullets, often the heavier for caliber ones in their lineup, tougher since they expect them to be used on tougher game. Another example already mentioned in this thread are the RN Core-Lokts. Some years back BC30Cal mentioned some disappointment with the Hornady 220 RN IL as another. I've seen others praise that bullet. Hornady's 44 cal 265 FP IL was specifically designed for the 444 Marlin in mind. A pox on them for discontinuing it as a handloading component. Perhaps they'll bring it back someday.

And then there's Sierra. Seems to be an either love or hate sentiment with them with the old core separation debate. I think most refer to Game Kings although that's often not specified when comments are made. Curious about sentiments for the Pro-Hunters. Not surprised that we don't see as many comments about them but FPs and RNs are just fine in the woods. Are Pro-Hunters any tougher than Game Kings? How do they compare to ILs?

Perhaps we can see some more comments about specific bullets in the cup and core lineups folks feel are exceptional or ones that are below par instead of generalizing the whole lineup.