Originally Posted by Sharpshooter97
Hey folks, looking to add a night vision scope to my collection. Going to use it for coyotes and varmints, I borrowed a rifle from a friend one night as he has a couple AR's set up for coyotes, it was a ATN but I don't remember the model. The only issue I saw is keeping the battery going in the cold, I'd like to stay around $1,000 if I can. Any recommendations?

I can offer some information on the subject for you.

First piece of advice is to not buy an ATN. Customer service sucks. They won't stand behind their products. Failures are the norm with them.

Not saying they can't make a decent device, just saying there are better out there. wink

A good choice for entry level is the Sightmark Wraith. It's a decent daylight/night vision scope. https://outdoorlegacygear.com/colle...igital-riflescope?variant=15986263326794

Get a better IR light, and mount the forward if you can. When you shoot, the gun smoke can give temporary white out through the scope because the light picks up the smoke.

Here's an example of daytime use.

And night time use.

Both videos were made through the Wraith. It has video capability, but no audio. Both distances were about 100 yards.

I really don't care for the IR light that comes with the Wraith. A great replacement light is Sniper Hog Lights... the 66LRX. You can see out to 800 yards depending on conditions (humidity, light focus, etc.) https://sniperhoglights.com/66lrx-rifle-light-1-color/

I'd get the "kit" with all the mounting and control options and batteries and charger.

With the Wraith, you see better through the scope than it records video. I think this is true of most all night vision devices that record video. They make a Wraith 4k that may offer a bit better picture, but I don't think it's $300 more better.

Be Careful!

Night vision, thermal, and hunting at night is a rabbit hole you can go down! smile

First it's a Wraith. Then it's another one.... Then it's thermal! Then it's a suppressor... and on and on... laugh

Lately have been hunting with a Bering Super Hogster thermal.

The link I posted above with Outdoor Legacy is a great place to start. They are good guys that know their stuff, and will always do right by you.

As a side note, I may be selling one of my Wraith setups. Mostly because I'm looking at getting another thermal to put on that rifle. (See? I told you it was a rabbit hole...) If interested, PM me, and I'll fix you up.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!