Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
Tag

Why the crazy magnification on thermals? If a 2-10 normal scope works for hunting deer in the daylight why do I need 16 or 32x to hunt pigs at night?

Really and truly, I never use the magnification on my night vision or thermal either.

When you use the base magnification you are looking at your clearest picture.

With the Wraith the base magnification on the one I have is 4 power. You click the zoom one notch it goes to 8 power... It doubles, but the clarity is cut in half. Click it up one notch and it goes to 16 power, but again, clarity is cut in half... so your clarity is 1/4 of what it is on the base magnification.

With my thermal, the same applies.

Most of what I see people using magnification for is looking long distances to try and identify animals. But remember, your clarity suffers when you zoom in, so identification is harder and less certain. wink I hardly ever use more than base magnification when identifying animals at long range either.

So figure out what device has the best base magnification for your hunting needs and conditions.

Really and truly, you don't need much magnification to hunt accurately and shoot accurately. When I sighted in my Super Hogster on base magnification of 3 power, and a distance of 100 yards, I used a small hand warmer. These are the final two shots...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!