I find most people buy a dog for looks, often not considering what temperament or traits the dog might have. Others research it and think they have to reinvent the wheel with something exotic or different. I say this because with a good lab I can’t imagine there really being a much better all around dog. I have had 3. The first was dang near human and knew what kind of mood I was in when I walked into the door. That damn dog in some ways knew me more than a person could. He never thought of himself as a dog either. When I die I want that dog with me. The second lab was a bust and didn’t care if you liked him or not. The 3rd has been great, the kids fight over who gets to have him sleep with them. He senses things going on in our family. He is also a pointing lab on birds. Doesn’t really shed after he has gotten older. The kids ride him and do all sorts of crap to him and he just loves it. I have a buddy that tried the wheel reinvention and paid 3 grand for a poodle pointer. Complete azzhat of a dog. Just get a decent lab. The one we have now my dad got for free and gave to me as my Christmas present one year,