Biggest pig I ever killed was with a 222mag shooting 55gr PowerLokt HPs. Granted I shot it twice but I’m not sure the second was warranted. I have no idea what it weighed but it was big.

The 7TCU pushing 110s to 2625 or 120s to 2575 out of my 20” 700 kills the heck out of them with minimal blast and recoil. At these speeds the softer bullets work great. I’ve had good luck with Speer TNTs, Sierra ProHunters, and Nosler Ballistic Tips. If it would fit in an AR mag it might be perfection.

I don’t think the 223 shooting decent bullets out of an AR can be beat for the combo of speed, shootability, and killing power. 77TMKs will reach the vitals on pretty dang big pigs from just about any angle. They don’t do so well with broken wheels which makes it much easier to get a follow up in too, I’ve no qualms shooting a runner right up the ass to slow him down. After all they aren’t deer and are regarded at about the same level of existence as cockroaches around here. Don’t discount the lowly 55gr Hornady spire point, they penetrate and kill very well for a plain old cheap bullet.

Strangely the only one I can say the “shield” gave me trouble on was a big boar I shot with a 30/06. He went down and got up and took off. My cousins caught him with their dogs and knifed him a while later. He had a 30 caliber bullet expanded all the way to the base resting against his shoulder blade and seemed to be doing fine until they stuck him. I think he weighed 280 something.