I have killed a bunch of pigs with a lot of different rifles.

My favorite gun for pigs is a 16" AR15 in 6.5 Grendel. Performance-wise 6.8 is pretty much same thing. 556 can do a good job if you pay attention to bullets and shot placement. The 65 SGK is a good bullet in 556, or the Hornady 75 BTHP. I have also done pretty well with the Hornady 62 BTHP. 7.62x39 is a good cartridge for pig shooting. IMO 300 BO takes a back seat to all the above.

Normally pigs just really aren't that hard to kill. Sometimes you get one that wants to prove that theory wrong. But the same can be said for coyotes, deer, or a host of other animals as well.

My pig hunting is usually not sport shooting, though sometimes I take my daughter out after a good boar. Normally it is all about numbers and damage control. Kill as many as possible as often as possible. The vast majority of mine are shot at night with thermal, often large groups in open fields, and multiple shooters. If I was shooting pigs over a feeder in daytime my opinions on weapons and methods might change. That said my daughter shoots the Grendel no matter what, day/night, normally with a 120 Gold Dot (targeting big boars) or a 90 TNT (mixed bag, coyotes/pigs).

Last edited by JTPinTX; 03/03/21.