We had a few bad experiences with nasty meat from medium-sized boars, so we quit eating boars altogether. Any sow over 50-60lbs generally get eaten somehow, even if it is given away. A game processor right down the road from me is known for his smoked link pork sausage, so I generally wind up having him do about 40lbs a year. If I get a sow in the off-season, when the game processor is closed, I'll debone it and smoke it all for pulled pork. There actually isn't that much meat on a feral hog, compared to the overall weight of the animal. I prefer to deal with them at 100lbs or more, to make it worth my trouble.

Gave this old girl to a fella a couple seasons back and he got a fair bit of meat off her. 271lbs and no piglets in that big belly. The average adult pig I shoot is probably 120-130lbs, but there have been a few 250+ here and there.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Several of the local guys are now using the Hogg Boss phone-operated mechanized trap gates (where the signal is strong enough) and they are putting a real dent in their numbers. I'm not seeing quite as many as I did 2-3 years ago.

Now with even more aplomb