Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by hanco
I never eat them, 30% carry brucellosis.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Is that in your particular area? The info I can find indicates a 10% rate across Texas.

The reality is that a LOT of wild game--not just pigs but deer, elk, etc.--can transmit various stuff to human, including not just brucellosis, but tularemia, trichinosis, etc. There various ways to prevent this, from using extreme care (including rubber gloves) when field-dressing and butchering, and cooking techniques. But our meat diet has been 99% wild during out marriage, which will hit 39 years this coming October, and so far we haven't contracted any of those diseases.

We've hunted pigs in Texas every few years since the 1990s, and always bring home some of the meat, mostly smaller pigs or bigger sows, but do eat some medium-sized boars.

Sorry, I missed that. I read the 30% someplace, but just googled it, 10% is what I’ve found too, but it can be higher in the eastern part of the state. A hunter best wear gloves, cook it properly. I don’t touch them without gloves. It said they can carry 24 different diseases. That’s enough to make me shy away from eating it.

Last edited by hanco; 03/04/21.