The UP is well worth seeing. Between state and federal land and private paper mill land open to the public there’s all kinds of land to enjoy. Tremendous snowmobiling and ATV riding or two tracking. Lots of very remote areas maybe more than anywhere else in the Eastern half of the US. Overall deer number are low between wolves and being on the northern fringes of deer habitat and southern fringes of moose habitat. Ruffed grouse hunting is some of the best in the country.

Fishing is excellent. There are small streams and rivers everywhere and most hold trout. Lots of lakes and bays with good to very good walleye, smallmouth bass and pike fishing including but not limited to Lake Michigan and Lake Huron to the South and Lake Superior to the North. Fall steelhead and salmon runs on numerous rivers and big lake fishing for them in the summer.

The UP has a unique Finnish heritage and feels a little bit like going back in time a few decades. I love going up there. Beautiful coastline surrounding the peninsula, Highway 2 along the northern Lake Michigan coast is nice. Mackinac Island is worth checking out and even Drummond Island if you had time. Tahquamenon Falls on the East side of the UP. The Pictured Rocks either hiking or by boat in the middle and the Porcupine Mountains to the West is especially scenic in the fall. With fishing and trail riding opportunities land to get out and stomp around on, and wildlife pretty much everywhere.

If I were going to pick a time I’d go in late September to take advantage of changing trees and mostly comfortable weather.