Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by louiethedrifter
Years ago this guy named Nick Adams liked it, especially the fishing.

The Big Two Hearted River really isn't a good trout stream. Too tannic, or so the locals told me.. Hemingway admitted to his son he just liked the name.

Fishing is very good. Northern, walleye, trout in many streams, and perch and panfish in the smaller lakes.

The descriptions of the UP given here are pretty much as I remember it. I spent 2 weeks up near Newberry every summer as a kid. Deer hunting never has been as good as in the LP. Not as much farm land, more timber. I can't comment on wolves. Back in the day we didn't have them except on Isle Royale.

Winters are tough! They get lake effect snow worse than Buffalo. Nobody talks about it because most sane people get out after Halloween.

Hemingway actually fished the Fox out of Seney - better fishing. Two Hearted is east of there and not as good, but as you say, the name has a "ring" to it. There are a number of good trout streams up there.

This time of the year the smelt should be running. I remember my dad and his buddies dipping nets and filling up the back of a pick-up with em. Took all night to clean them too. Everyone in the neighborhood had gallons of fresh smelt to eat and freeze that next day. Good times.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin