I’ve taken cameras and tree stands down and left the following note: Trespasser, if you want your [camera] back, have your attorney contact me. I then left my cell phone. Funny thing is, no one has ever called.

The first time I did this, it was in front of a State Trooper (I had trail cam photos of the trespasser). He said “I’m not sure you can do that.” I responded I’d litigate the issue in a heartbeat. I explained my wife and I walk our property regularly. I asked if he’d let someone post a camera in his front yard? He said “of course not.” I responded I just happen to have a big front yard...

Trespassers are a scourge. They don’t care about the law or property rights. Criminal sanctions are so light they are content to risk getting caught. I had signs made that state as follows: This property is legally posted. Your “claim” that you didn’t know is not a legal defense. You will be caught, you will be prosecuted and you will be sued.”

Since the signs went up and word got out that we have prosecuted trespassers, it’s made a difference. I learned the hard way that being nice only emboldened trespassers. YMMV.