Originally Posted by saddlegun
You often read about trespassing hunters setting up tree stands and game cameras on private land that they think that they can use without permission.

It would seem that all that the land owner needs to do is demand identification from these people, and they would then meekly depart empty-handed. I suppose that they could take their chances with the local LEOs but I think that few would try.

However, since tree stands don't have serial numbers, and identifying markings can be scraped off, why can't you just sell them?

Seems like poetic justice to me.

If it's not clearly marked with identifying information (like name & driver license number engraved onto treestand), legally you can claim abandoned property and sell it. But there are other ways of handling as others have mentioned.

Had that problem with a neighbor, and didn't need to turn that redneck into an ongoing problem (I don't live there fulltime and he personally didn't know who I was). Photographed everything before & after, took down his stand, his game camera, and eliminated the illegal bait pile. Drove to his house to ask whether the stuff I was holding was his. He claimed he didn't realize he was on someone else's property, so I mentioned perhaps a good clue was the clearly evident knocked down fenceline over which he crossed with his equipment. After mentioning I hope his equipment and tracks don't appear on my land again, because I'd hate to photograph it again and submit to local Conservation Officer, he politely accepted the return of his stuff. Never any problems since.