Originally Posted by 44mc
Sarge have you ever shot cast bullets in it

I tried a Hunters Supply 190 grain cast RNFP over the basic 'start' load of H4895 for 1865 fps. That bullet is advertised as 358 and suitable for 35 Rem, but it was awful in my Ballard rifled 1955 Marlin. This rifle with plant three 200 grain FTX factory loads in 4 1/2 inches at 200 yards. With the Hunters Supply 190, rested 100 yard groups would be measured in feet, not inches.

I mic'ed a couple of these bullets and they were barely .358 and the base, tapering to about .356 at the front driving band. I've had great luck with Hunters Supply bullets in 44 Mag revolvers, so I'm not dogging on the maker. I do think these would make a good heavy bullet for the 357 mag.

Having nothing to lose, I slowed this bullet down to about 1150 fps, over 7.0 grains of w231. The Marlin put three of them in three inches at 100 yards. It's way low at that distance but shoots to the sights at 25 yards and overlaps bullet holes. I'll load the rest of them up like that and use it on junk critters around the farm.

Waste not, want not wink

People I trust tell me these old Ballard rifled 35s want a .359 cast bullet to shoot really well.

Last edited by SargeMO; 04/26/21.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ