I've had a Marlin 35 rem pre cross bolt safety for quite some time. It is a deer thumper, that's for sure. Anyone who argues that smaller calibers have equal efficacy on big game hasn't had much experience with the mild 35 rem. Haven't yet had the chance to take larger game with one, but I have carried it while hunting elk in the timber. Someday.

Currently mine has a vintage Leupold 1-4 gloss scope that has recently gone TU, so I'm searching for a gloss replacement. Not sure what direction to go. Gloss scopes can be hard to come by these days. I've heard Leupold has been shifting towards replace instead of repair, and I really don't care to mount any current production Leupolds on it.

I have a bunch of the Buffalo Bore +p 220 grn loads for it, and my particular Marlin loves them. It actually shoots the 220 grn Speers very well at lesser velocities as well. I've found the 220 Speer to be a great bullet all around for the 35 rem; I've also used them in my BLR 358 with great results. And they're usually pretty cheap to obtain.