Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I save my prejudice for Subaru drivers with Oregon plates. They love to get in front of you and do 10 under and then floor it to try to stay ahead of you if you try to pass.

Even my wife noticed it on our last Oregon trip. I just told her it was part of the leftist need to try to control complete strangers. Like they say, people who can't control their own feelings feel like they have to control other people.

Bb

Subaru drivers are almost always exceptionally courteous to cyclists. Categorically the best.

I spent a summer driving truck in Montana one summer to pay for college. Double belly dumps full of sand or gravel in mountainous area and I've thought differently about cyclists ever since. Nothing like just getting your speed up for the next hill and then having to jam the brakes because some cyclist decides to pull out in front of you and pace car you. Or coming around a curve and running up on a cyclist who pushes you out into oncoming traffic. They should be banned on some roads, it's not like their fuel tax is paying for the road anyways. I've had to creep up too many hills because of cyclists.

If Subaru drivers had their way everyone else besides them wouldn't be allowed a car and would have to bike everywhere.

Bb

i appreciate the fact that there are people who enjoy riding bicycles, but the fact remains that they are a hazard on roads used by motor vehicles.

Incorrect. Auto drivers are the hazard. How often do you hear of a cyclist getting killed in a single vehicle crash? How often do auto drivers get killed in a single vehicle crash? How often do cyclists kill anyone in a collision? How often do motorists kill someone in a collision? How often to motorists kill cyclists in collisions? Kinda hard to arrive at cyclists being the hazard when you answer those questions honestly.

Paul, as I said, I appreciate that there are folks who like to bike. I think that you have to admit that the primary purpose of roads is for motor vehicles - they are designed for their use - look at the width, the depth of surface, and the speed limits. I have experienced too many close calls that were initiated by the presence of bicycles. Coming up over a hill at 55 mph, with another car directly behind you, to be confronted by bicycles headed in your direction at a much slower speed, while meeting a large truck in the opposite lane is a recipe for disaster. While the same could be said for any sort of vehicle traveling at less than the normal flow of traffic, I have experienced it with bikes all too often. I don't wish to argue; I am just concerned with everyone's safety. I am all for the development of bike trails - a good use for abandoned RR right-of-ways.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.