Discussion here: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/15794440/1

People who use some profanity tend to be more intelligent and honest than people who never do. Less filtered.

I use it for emphasis and humor. I almost never use at AT someone. On the rare occasion that I do, it's someone who really needs to hear it.

Sometimes, it makes an emphasis that is needed or accentuated the humor of something.

Anecdotal Example: When I was 17 I was arrested for a DUI. My parents were divorced. I lived with my mother. My father had moved a couple thousand miles away for job reasons. My mother couldn't understand and thought I was just a bad person.

My father knew better. He called me up, and we talked about it. He paused and said: "You're a good person and you have a bright future. I know it will be that way. You're eventually going to stop f***ing up. Here's the thing: Why not make it now? Why wait a few more years or so? ..."

That was emphasis. If he had said "messing up," it wouldn't have had the same affect. His intent was pure and his impact was elevated. It helped me decide to stop f***ing up.

Profanity also can be hilarious on occasion.