I look at the success rate numbers as a simple data point in comparison to other units and then i look at the numbers of a given unit over time. I have no idea if the numbers are accurate, i suspect they are not. But, trends over time are useful if that makes sense.

With respect to herd counts. CPW stopped by our camp last year. My uncle, (and the rest of my family) has hunted the exact same place every single year since 1974, complained that there aren't nearly the elk there were 20 years ago...among other issues. CPW said "their counts indicate the numbers are significantly up for this unit" and proceeded to actually argue that he was mistaken. CPW didn't want to hear what 46 years of eyes on the ground said, they go by winter herd counts of elk that winter 40+ miles away. So, no, herd counts interpolated to unit population are not accurate, just a little better than a SWAG.

CPW is a business that sells access to their personal cash crop. As long as people pay for that access, CPW will be happy. The numbers, your personal experience, crop quality, perception, etc only figure into the equation in so much as their ability to generate revenue. DOW had a hunter oriented culture (at least up to 15-20 years ago)...CPW has a money centric culture, but i digress.

Last edited by Centennial; 05/18/21.