Originally Posted by WiFowler
Originally Posted by rem141r
midnight chow was the stuff. ginormous omelet, hashbrowns, SOS, bacon, sausage, etc.

also the holiday meals were great, especially overseas. they tried to make up for us being away from home on christmas, etc i guess. the worst was in tech school. chow hall lines around the corner and the food was generally godawful. i never liked ketchup before then. ended up putting it on everything. the worst was what they called "steak". i have no idea what grade of meat this was but it was blue with huge gristle lines running through it.

^^^ This.

FWIW, I'm guessing rem141r is an Air Force vet . . . .

Oh hell ya! grin
One of the bennies of pulling alert was the chow. There was a chow hall at the mole hole that served food for the alert crews. We knew which day we'd have a klaxton, we were served steaks for either lunch or dinner. During my EC days if we had an early morning takeoff we'd hit the main chow hall after a quick walk-around of the alert bird, made to order omelets and toast. I never got into the SOS. Even our inflight box lunches were decent with beef tips being a favorite. MREs were for grunts... 🤣