My favorites (C-Rats) were the dead Duke discs (round chocolate toffee bars some called John Wayne bars but at Bragg we called them dead Duke discs) ... and I loved the fruit cake with jam or jelly or melted sugar water poured into the can to soften it up. There was also good pound cake in C-Rats.

Other notable C-Rats were the turkey roll and the ham.

Mess halls were good at Bragg especially in the Falcon Brigade ... White Falcon mess hall was legendary. We used to have guys sneak over from other battalions to eat there especially on fried catfish nights and on country fried steak and rice nights.

Over in Italy, in Vicenza, both tours first 509th (nickel oh nasty) and later with the 4th of the 325th Airborne Combat Team .... that chow hall was Nuke'm Needham's pet peeve. It was open to troops 24/7/365 and it served up some good chow and midnight snacks. Thanksgiving and Christmas particularly ... it was good eatin.

MREs we started getting maybe in the early 80s, I don't remember exactly when but we were pretty happy with those. Again, the turkey and ham but also they had a spiced ham and they had tuna ... come to think of it the C-Rats tuna was pretty good too.

Last edited by SCRooster; 05/27/21. Reason: Corrected autocorrect correction that was incorrect

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.